Ellen Ostrow, of Lawyers Life Coach LLC, is forming a group for female lawyers who are trying to get back into the work force. Ellen is a psychologist who writes and speaks a lot on career issues facing women in the law. I’ve been very impressed over the years with her articles and newsletter (which is available on her website by free subscription.) Here are the details from a recent e-mail I received:
Who should participate?
Attorneys who have been away from law practice to care for their families for a year or more and want to return to practice.
What will the program cover?
- Clarifying job and career goals.
- Self-assessment of strengths, transferable skills and training needs.
- Effective networking.
- Finding jobs.
- Interviewing skills.
- Working with your family to prepare for the transition.
- Negotiating for part-time work schedules.
- Work/life balancing strategies.
How will you benefit?
- You will receive coaching from two very experienced coaches.
- You will connect with other attorneys facing the same challenges.
- You will get support, encouragement and opportunities to practice from the group.
- Group members will learn from one another’s experiences.
- The group will jump-start your network expansion.
- You’ll be able to take what now seems like a daunting process and break it down into manageable pieces.
- Special â€œbonusâ€ calls will feature:
- Employers giving advice about what they’re looking for
- Attorneys who’ve already successfully opted back in telling you what has worked for them
- Career counselors providing tips on resumes and interviews
- Headhunters supplying information about the job market
- Experts on part-time work offering advice on how to negotiate schedules
When will the group meet?
The group will meet via teleconference call for 90 minutes on Thursdays at
- 12:30 â€“ 2:00 PM Eastern time
- 11:30 AM â€“ 1:00 PM Central time
- 10:30 AM â€“ 12:00 PM Mountain time
- 9:30 â€“ 11:00 AM Pacific time
The group will meet twice/month beginning Thursday October 4, 2007.
We will begin with a plan to meet for three months. If current participants are interested in continuing and new people would like to join, we’ll continue the group so that you can participate for as long as you’d like â€“ all the way to celebrating your new job!
How many people will be in the group?
In order to ensure that every participant receives sufficient time and attention to effectively craft and implement a re-entry plan, group size will be limited to 10 participants.
Enrollment is on a first-come-first-served basis.